The competition landscape is constantly changing, driven not only by a complex legal framework, but also by political and economic considerations. Thanks to our in-depth experience in EU Competition law, we assist clients to help them ensure that they comply with Competition law whilst achieving their business objectives. We form strong relationships with the clients’ in-house legal services, in order to provide the tailor-made solutions that fit their business strategy.
Our expertise covers the whole spectrum of EU Competition issues: antitrust, State aid, public services and services of general economic interest, merger control, with a particular focus on antitrust and State aid compliance and litigation. We are among the select group of firms with in-depth knowledge and experience of State aid law. We provide pragmatic advice designed to prevent clients’ exposure to Competition law risks, in a context of constantly evolving competition law requirements, and represent clients in judicial and administrative proceedings before the EU and national Courts, the European Commission and the national competition authorities.
The lawyers are regularly called upon to give stand-alone competition and strategic advice. Amongst other, we:
- Provide guidance and advice to build and reinforce credible antitrust compliance programmes to reduce the risk of Competition law infringements, particularly in relation to arrangements with actual or potential competitors;
- Draft, file and discuss with the European Commission and the relevant national competition authorities third party challenges to restrictive practices under Article 101 TFEU against restrictive agreements affecting the EU markets, as well as complaints under Article 102 TFEU related to abusive behaviours in the market;
- Assess technical and standardisation issues in horizontal agreements, draft joint purchasing and distribution agreements between undertakings operating in different downstream markets, with a view to exclude any potential anti-competitive effects and prove the resulting efficiencies and their effects on the price and quality of downstream products/services;
- Assist clients claiming damages before national courts for the harm caused to them by an infringement of EU Competition law in order to ensure that they are compensated for the harm suffered;
- Draft and negotiate merger and joint venture agreements, assuring a Competition law review based on a careful assessment and balancing of pro-and anti-competitive effects. We handle merger control filings and submissions, representing clients before the European Commission when competitors are engaged in transactions which could adversely affect their interests.
- Provide legal advice at each stage of administrative proceedings in State aid cases (prior notification, preliminary investigation and in-depth investigation).
- Assist public sector clients with the drafting of financial arrangements between the State and public-owned companies, preparing notifications to the European Commission and securing approval under State aid law.